On Saturday, 4 September, a meeting of the Minister of European Affairs of Saxony- Katja Meier and the President of Świdnica- Beata Moskal-Słaniewska took place in Krzyżowa. Both ladies summed up the meeting as 'inspiring conversation in a nice atmosphere'.
The Minister has already planned further visits to Świdnica in the coming months. They will be connected with discussing possible joint projects. It is worth mentioning that in their work both politicians support a Europe open to the world, especially youth projects.
"The Pastoral Letter of the Polish Bishops to their German Brothers", which was created in 1965 on the initiative of the Polish episcopate, is considered one of the first steps on the path of Polish-German reconciliation after the Second World War. The content of the document, the author of which was bishop Bolesław Kominek, was certainly consulted with the then primate of Poland, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński. On the eve of his beatification, Dr. Robert Żurek, managing director of the Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe, recalls the important role Cardinal Wyszyński played in shaping Polish-German relations:
"The Primate at various times in history was able to firmly oppose certain anti-Polish voices and tendencies that came from West Germany, but on the other hand he understood that reconciliation and good relations with Germany were part of the Polish raison d'état".
In August, in Krzyżowa, we hosted the Polish Radio Program 2 crew, which recorded materials for the programme from the series „Dwójka na miejscu. Z biegiem lat, z biegiem rzek”. In the episode, the leitmotif of which was the Odra River, there was a fragment devoted to Krzyżowa.
Aleksandra Królak-Wąsowicz, director of organization and development of the Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe, talked about the initiatives of our foundation, abolishing borders and promoting understanding across divisions, as well as about the Kreisau Circle and the von Moltke family.
From 17 August to 25 September 2021, the Boberhaus diorama will be presented at the headquarters of the Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe. It is a model showing the now non-existent building called the House on the Bóbr river, which before World War II was in Lwówek Śląski and played an important role in the upbringing and education of young people, and the then owner of the estate in Krzyżowa, Helmuth James von Moltke, was involved in its activities.
The author of the diorama is Rainer Dierchen, who tried to recreate this unique monument of the Lwówek’s region in the smallest details, mainly for promotional purposes, to support the idea of rebuilding the Boberhaus as the European Center for Culture, Education and History. It is implemented by the Lwówek’s Regional Society in cooperation with the municipal partner association Heidenau e.V., referring to the activities of the Boberhaus from 1926-1937, when it housed the National People's University. This institution was mainly involved in organizing volunteer camps and courses for young people from Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, during which there were physical and artistic activities as well as discussions on current topics. It is estimated that over 40,000 young people took part in such initiatives, and in this respect, the Boberhaus was a model followed by other entities throughout Germany.